Who We Are
The Science Advisory Board (“The Science Advisory Board,” “our,” “us,” or “we”) is an international community of science and medical experts. We connect a global network of research, development, and manufacturing professionals to collaborate on shaping the future of scientific technology. Our Members share their knowledge and experience with the community, advise and consult leading life science companies, and earn rewards for their engagement.
Our mission is to be the catalyst for future breakthroughs by providing a space for professionals to share, interact, and discover. By enabling them to share their opinions with the companies whose products they rely on every day, our Members have a voice in shaping the future of science technology.
To accomplish our mission, we engage research, development, and manufacturing professionals to collaborate on shaping the future of science and medicine. Expert-led teams host discussions about cutting edge technology. Members can also “Ask the Experts” by broadcasting inquiries to tens of thousands of scientists around the world.
Members participate in focus groups, individual consultancies, lab product testing, or online questionnaires. Companies use Members’ feedback to provide new offerings that better meet the needs of our community. By improving the dialogue between scientists and suppliers, we expedite the next generation of discoveries.
Only professionals actively conducting life science research, development, or manufacturing; clinical care and testing; or related disciplines are eligible for Membership. Full-time graduate students and post-doctoral fellows are also welcome to apply for membership.
Applying for Membership
All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for Membership by registering at our Signup Page.
We review all Applications for accuracy. Application verification can take a few days. We reserve the right to reject applications based on false, incomplete or unverifiable information.
We will notify you by email whether your Membership Application has been approved or denied. If your Application is approved, you will automatically become a member of The Science Advisory Board. If your Application is denied, our email will outline common reasons for denial, and offer you an opportunity to send additional information for reconsideration.
All members have an account on www.scienceboard.net. You have the right, and are encouraged to, view and update your profile information routinely. If, at any time, your personal or professional information has changed, you are responsible for updating your profile at our website.
Our Membership records are stored in a secure, proprietary database. This database is used to determine whether a Member meets the criteria necessary to be eligible for a research study. When a new study matches a Member's background and area of expertise, that Member is notified that a study is available for their participation. A Member’s election to not participate in a specific study or studies will not impact his or her Membership status. Honoraria are provided for successful survey completion. Honoraria for survey completion will only be awarded once per person per study.
Additional Ways to Express Your Opinions
Members with unique qualifications are invited to participate in other initiatives such as live focus groups or telephone interviews. In addition, we offer our Members the opportunity to participate in online group discussions, protocol submissions, product reviews, events, instant polls, editorials and more.
Rewarding Your Participation
Members who participate are compensated with ViewPoints and/or a chance to win a prize each time a study is successfully completed within the required timetables. Upon completion of the study, any applicable ViewPoints will be automatically added to that Member's account. Accumulated ViewPoints may be redeemed for items in the Rewards Catalog pursuant to our Member Rewards Program Terms and Conditions.
Representations and Warranties
As a condition of participating in any of our research studies, including without limitation our online surveys, onsite or electronic focus groups, individual consulting interviews, or hands-on product testing, you represent and warrant that (1) such participation and receipt of any incentive therefore does not violate any applicable policies, regulations, or laws, or conflict with any agreement you have entered into; and (2) you will participate in good faith and to the best of your ability, including answering the survey questions honestly and prudently without providing knowingly false or misleading data, or inconsistent or statistically improbable answers. These conditions and representations apply to both our Members and to all other participants. Violating these conditions and representations can result in compromised data. Therefore, we reserve the right to sanction Members and all other participants in our sole discretion, including withholding or refusing to award honoraria, if in our reasonable view, a Member or participant’s response(s) are deemed to violate these conditions or representations. We further reserve the right to withhold any honoraria awarded to a Member under false pretenses, including without limitation, a Member’s misrepresentation of their background, current employment, current laboratory applications used, current laboratory suppliers, or current area of study.
We extend Membership, and Membership benefits, at our sole discretion. We reserve the right to discontinue your Membership if: (1) you do not participate in any of our functions (website, surveys, articles, polls, etc.) for a period of twelve (12) months; (2) the email address in your Member profile no longer accepts emails from us (e.g., bounce backs, auto-replies, server does not recognize email address, etc.); (3) you request to be added to our Do Not Send List; (4) you fail to comply with all of our applicable rules, requirements and policies; or (5) we determine in our sole discretion that your conduct is detrimental to us, our Members, or our community.
You may discontinue your Membership with us at any time for any reason. Contact us to delete your account.
Chanes to our Terms of Service
We maintain the right to change our policies, including these Terms of Service, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without prior notice. Such changes may include, without limitation, changing the terms of Membership, Terms of Service, or other policies; changing the amount of ViewPoints required to redeem particular rewards; removing any of the rewards available; or terminating rewards programs partially or wholly. If we decide to change our Terms of Service, we will post those changes on this page.
Complaints & Dispute Resolution
We are committed to working with you to obtain fair and rapid resolution of any complaints or disputes. Any dispute, claim, or controversy between you and us arising in connection with or relating in any way to your Membership will be determined by mandatory binding individual (not class) arbitration. The arbitrator will have the exclusive power to rule on his or her own jurisdiction, including any objections with respect to the existence, scope or validity of the Arbitration Agreement or to the arbitrability of any claim or counterclaim. The arbitrator may not award any relief, including declaratory or injunctive relief, benefiting anyone but the parties to the arbitration. Any arbitration will take place under the Consumer Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) then in force (the “AAA Rules”). Any arbitration hearings will take place in Arlington, Virginia.
By accessing our services, software and web site, you are accepting these Terms of Service, including any policies referenced herein. Your continued use of our services, software or web site constitutes your acceptance of changes to our Terms of Service or policies.
If you have questions or concerns about these Terms of Service or any of our policies, please Contact us.
The Science Advisory Board
671 North Glebe Road, Suite 1610
Arlington, VA 22203 United States
Tips for posting to the SAB Forums
The SAB Forums are a gathering place for the discussion of topics of interest to the communities. Everyone is encouraged to participate in the Forums. Like any community, there are certain rules and guidelines that must be followed to ensure that everyone gets the most enjoyment possible out of the Forums. These rules and guidelines are laid out in our Forum Code of Conduct.
Here are some handy tips to know to get the most out of our Forums:
1. Moderation on Forums
In order to ensure that our Forums are a place where information and opinions can be shared safely, all postings may be moderated. Postings that violate our Forum Code of Conduct may be removed by us at our sole discretion.
2. Your Postings Reflect Upon You -- Be Proud of Them
Most people on our Forums will only know you by what you say and how well you say it. Take some time to make sure each posting is something that will not embarrass you later. Minimize your spelling errors and make sure that the post is easy to read and understand. Writing is an art and to do it well requires practice. Since much of how people judge you on the web is based on your writing, such time is well spent.
3. Never Forget that the Person on the Other Side is Human
Because your interaction with the Forums is through a computer, it is easy to forget that there are people "out there" reading your posts. Situations arise where emotions erupt into a verbal free-for-all that can lead to hurt feelings. Please remember that people all over the world are reading your words. Do not attack people if you cannot persuade them with your presentation of the facts. Screaming, cursing, and abusing others only serves to make people think less of you and less willing to help you when you need it. Hasty words create more problems than they solve. Don't say anything to others you would not say to them in person in a room full of people.
4. Be Careful in the Posting of Personal Information
Do not give out your name or address to anyone asking for this information. Only post information that you are comfortable with the world seeing or reading.
5. Spamming or Flaming
Any type of commercial spamming or excessive flaming will not be tolerated and will be removed from the Forums. Our Forums are used to discuss relevant topics, not attack other's ideas and beliefs. The best response to a flame is to not respond.
Forum Code of Conduct
Forums and all related applications (the "Services") are provided to you only if you agree to abide by the terms and conditions (the "Standards") below. SAB may refuse to provide the Services to you if you violate the standards.
Use of the Services constitutes your acceptance of the Standards. SAB monitors the Services and reserves the right to remove any content that it believes, in its sole discretion, does not meet the Standards.
1. You understand that all information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages and other materials ("Content"), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from which the Content originated. This means that you, and not SAB are entirely responsible for all Content that you upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available via the Service. We do not control the Content posted via the Service and, as such, do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Content. You understand that by using the Service, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. Under no circumstance will SAB be liable in any way for any content, including but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted, emailed, transmitted or otherwise made available via the Service.
2. You agree that you will not use the Service to:
a. upload, post, email, transmit, submit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
b. harm minors in any way;
c. post personal identifying information about someone else;
d. advocate illegal conduct or participate in illegal or fraudulent schemes to distribute unauthorized copies of copyrighted material (including photos, artwork, text, recordings, designs, or computer programs);
e. post, exchange, trade or swap content that is sexually explicit, obscene or vulgar;
f. upload, post, email, transmit, submit or otherwise make available any material that contains destructive features, such as viruses, worms, Trojan horses, etc.
g. post or use any bots or scripts on the server, whether they are benign or destructive in intent;
h. invite others to visit websites that offer materials or content that does not comply with the Standards;
i. engage in any commercial activity, including but not limited to posting or transmitting of unauthorized or unsolicited advertising, promotional materials or any other forms of solicitation to other users;
j. upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party;
k. state, indicate, suggest or otherwise imply that you are an employee or representative of SAB, its subsidiaries or affiliates;
l. intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including but not limited to, regulations promulgated by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, any rules of any national or other securities exchange, including without limitation, the New York Stock Exchange, the American Stock Exchange or the NASDAQ, and any regulations having the force of law; or
m. collect or store personal data about other users.
n. adopt the identity of another person or company through the use of a username that is not your own.
3. You acknowledge that SAB does not pre-screen Content, but that SAB and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion, to refuse or move any Content that is available via the Service. Without limiting the foregoing, SAB and its designees shall have the right
a. to remove any Content that violates the Standards. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any Content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such Content. In this regard, you acknowledge that you may not rely on any Content created by SAB or submitted to SAB.
b. to remove Content from users we suspect are operating under false pretenses.
4. We encourage you not to post personal identifying information about yourself in the Services. Be aware that when you disclose personal identifying information such as your actual name, member name, email address, etc., the information may be collected and used by others to send unsolicited email.
5. Whenever you use the Services to initiate conversations with SAB, or anyone else, you are inviting a response and agree to be contacted by electronic or other means in return.
6. The Services are open to the public, and what you post there can be seen by anyone and is not protected.
7. If you discover any use of the Services that you believe is not consistent with these Standards, you should promptly bring it to SAB's attention by sending an email message to complaints.
8. SAB reserves the right to release information to the proper authorities in the event of a violation of these Standards, or in response to an appropriate subpoena, or if SAB deems it necessary and/or appropriate.
10. NEITHER SAB, NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, PARENT COMPANIES, PARTNERS, ADVERTISERS OR THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS MAKE ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY WITH RESPECT TO ANY CONTENT, INFORMATION OR SERVICES PROVIDED THROUGH, OR IN CONJUNCTION WITH, THE SERVICES. SAB, ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, PARENT COMPANIES, PARTNERS, ADVERTISERS AND THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS ARE NOT LIABLE FOR CONDUCT BY ANY USER OF THE SERVICES. NEITHER SAB, NOR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, PARENT COMPANIES, PARTNERS, ADVERTISERS OR THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS MAKE ANY GUARANTEE, REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY AS TO THE ACCURACY, CORRECTNESS OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED AS A RESULT OF USING THE SERVICES, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR: (I) ANY ERRORS OF OMISSION ARISING FROM THE USE OF SUCH INFORMATION; (II) ANY FAILURES, DELAYS OR INTERRUPTIONS IN THE DELIVERY OF ANY CONTENT OR SERVICE CONTAINED WITHIN THE SITE; (III) ANY LIBELOUS OR UNLAWFUL MATERIAL CONTAINED WITHIN MEMBER POSTINGS; OR (IV) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE SERVICE. YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD SAB AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, PARENT COMPANIES, PARTNERS, ADVERTISERS, AND THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIM OR DEMAND, INCLUDING REASONABLE ATTORNEYS' FEES, MADE BY ANY THIRD PARTY DUE TO OR ARISING OUT OF CONTENT YOU SUBMIT, POST, TRANSMIT OR MAKE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE, YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, YOUR CONNECTION TO THE SERVICE, YOUR VIOLATION OF THE STANDARDS, OR YOUR VIOLATION OF THE RIGHTS OF ANOTHER.
Click here to return to the Forums main page.