January 2, 2020 -- As you may have noticed, there were quite a few changes to ScienceBoard in 2019. In the second half of the year, we brought more targeted content for life scientists, particularly research news. We saw that advances in molecular biology and genomics, along with a focus on the development of new therapies for a variety of diseases.
As our global population ages, we've seen research efforts focused on neurodegenerative diseases and their treatment. This year, our stories are Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease were among the most popular.
Rapidly evolving fields such as genomics and proteomics experiences huge growth in 2019. Although controversial, the potential of these technologies offer new insights into biology that seems impossible just a decade ago. From providing insights into the 3D structure of DNA to optimizing RNA-sequencing using artificial intelligence, these techniques are transforming science at light speed.
Another trend of 2019 was fighting antibiotic resistance. Researchers explored new ways to exploit cells to help us tackle this problem. Some of these included form-switching bacteria or biologically active compounds from humic substances in soil. Enabled with modern technology, researchers are able to think outside of the box to find innovative solutions to contemporary challenges.
Below is the full top 10 list of articles on ScienceBoard.net for 2019, as measured by member traffic. We hope that you enjoyed reading these stories and we look forward to bringing you more in 2020.
Top 10 ScienceBoard stories of 2019
- The Parkinson's Foundation launches large-scale genetic study, aiming to improve patient care and speed clinical trials – August 14, 2019
- New method reveals 3D DNA structure – November 22, 2019
- Making the leap from academia to industry – August 22, 2019
- Repurposed drug shows potential to slow neurodegeneration in Parkinson's disease patients – September 17, 2019
- Top scientists ousted – potential impacts on mistrust of scientists in the US – August 15, 2019
- Algorithm detects unknown anomalies in RNA-seq data – November 27, 2019
- Form-switching bacteria may cause antibiotic resistance – September 26, 2019
- Biologically active molecules in coal are found to have antiviral properties against tick-borne encephalitis – August 19, 2019
- New molecular cause identified for neurodegeneration in Alzheimer's disease – October 8. 2019
- New nanoparticles help reduce inflammatory disease – November 7, 2019
Copyright © 2020 scienceboard.net